Our first issue was the wallpaper. There was wallpaper on every surface(except for that one wall that had paneling). They had several layers on some walls, and they didn't prime walls before putting it up so it stuck to the Sheetrock. We did three rooms and with 10 people, it took a FULL day. We decided to simply pay someone that my uncles use to do the rest and replace the Sheetrock that we took down. It didn't cost as much as I thought it would and it has saved us weeks of time.
Our next discovery broke my heart! We took up the carpet on the first day to get rid of some of the pet smells and quickly realized that they had put the flooring on top of particle board that soaks up all of that water that the previous owner spilled from owning a million fish aquariums and also from her dog peeing. Not a big deal with the carpet, but we had hoped to finish all of the hardwoods and not worry about that part. Since it is on particle board, we had to rip up the hardwoods in the kitchen and den. The dining room and our master was built on the addition, so it will be saved and we will just refinish it to match the new hardwoods that we will be putting down. Gross, right?
I really hate our master bathroom. I don't need anything huge because I don't spend a lot of time in the bathroom, but I at least wanted a bathtub(it only had a shower and potty in that small room and then a vanity on the other side of the wall). We figured we would leave our bathroom as is and use the other two until we get around to it in the spring. Come to find out, the previous owner also used to have a ton of aquariums stacked in this bathroom and would close the door. The humidity caused all of this mold. Soo...our bathroom is getting redone now and I'm getting my tub!
Our master is part of the addition that they did many years ago. When taking out the vanity, we found this. This was no big deal, just a "what?!?!" moment.
We already knew about the Styrofoam beams. They were taken down one of the first few days and the ceilings were smoothed out and fixed Tuesday.
There was an old leak that had already been fixed in the 2nd master(the girls' room) and the floor in there had been repaired. The leak must have gone through to the other side of the wall into their room, because when we pulled up the sub-floor, we found this. Again, no big deal, just a little extra time to fix it.
It has been a ton of work, but it is really starting to come together and we even have paint on a few walls! Once we're done, it will almost be like a new house. :) Now that most of the demo is done, I will start giving room by room updates starting tomorrow. Stay tuned because I'll be showing pictures of the kitchen progress first.